Monday, November 19, 2007

For the Grandparents . . .


I had to post this story for the grandparents, because I think it's just too funny! Right before my Dad passed away, he ordered two shirts for Joshua and Joel from a novelty catalog. The one for Joshua said "Chip off the Old Block" and Joel's said "The Old Block". Little did he know at the time how very right on those shirts were.
Yesterday, before driving an hour plus to the bird store, I called to see how much they charged for budgies. The answer was WAY too much. I told the kids that we weren't going to go and we'd have to find somewhere else to purchase our pet. They were disappointed, so we had a family discussion. I suggested that if each child was willing to chip in $10 from the Christmas money they usually receive from MomMom and PopPop, we could get one of these babies. I talked to them about how much they usually receive and how much they would have left over if they decided to contribute. The girls were on board immediately - they thought a budgie would be a great Christmas present. As Emma so aptly put it "a toy from a store can't give you love like a pet can". Guess who she takes after?
Josh had some calculations to make.
First question (Josh):

"How long does a budgie live?"

Answer (Me):

"Anywhere between four and ten years"

Response (Josh):

"I don't think I'm going to contribute my Christmas $$"

Response (girls and I):

"Gasp!"

Explanation (Josh):

"If I buy a toy, it lasts for as long as I want to play with it. I just don't think it's a good thing to spend money on something that might only last four years".
How "JOEL" is that???
In the meantime, Eli had gotten approximately this much out of the conversation - "bird", "four years", "toy", "no money", and "Gasp". He raised his eyebrows at all of us and walked away, who could blame him?
After further discussion, Joshua requested that we call MomMom (the giver of funds) and get her take on the situation. We did, and discovered that once again MomMom and PopPop were planning on spoiling the socks off the kids this Christmas.
Josh did some quick calculations and decided that a donation to the Budgie fund would not set him back as much as he had initially anticipated, so he's in. We who are emotionally based (ie the girls and I) were happy and relieved but are still feeling somewhat disillusioned.
Love,

Jen



No comments: