Monday, November 19, 2007

Growing Again . . .


How could anyone resist this face? Well, the kids and I can't, that's for sure! I'm pleased to announce we have a new little member of the family, or we will, in another 3 - 5 weeks.
I have always loved birds, it's an interest that my Dad and I shared. We had an awesome little budgie named Woodstock when I was growing up, and I've always wanted our kids to experience these wonderful little pets. The kids' response? "Birds . . . Ho Hum". This all changed over the summer when our zoo opened an exhibit called "Budgie Buddies". The kids were able to feed and interact with a whole flock of budgies and quickly realized how friendly, intelligent, and just fun birds can be.
Alas, the presence of our two cats, who would have been more than happy to give a little bird a home . . . in their tummy, made it impossible for us to have one as a pet. I was forced to cling to Joel's promise that when we no longer had cats, I could have my bird. Little did Joel know our cats would be leaving us at least a decade sooner than expected. Sadly, while we were in China we discovered that Hannah is allergic. We were fortunate enough to find homes for the kitties, and the kids lost no time in clamoring for Joel to fulfill his promise. Poor Joel, doomed to life in a home packed with animal enthusiasts. Don't feel too sorry for him, he knew what he was getting into when he married me.
I was lucky enough to find a bird dealer in Denver who hand raises baby budgies, and yesterday the fourlittlehawks plus Mama made the drive to check it out. It was a really fun experience, the kids were able to see baby parrots of all types, and even got to handle a baby Cockatoo! We were able to hold our teeny baby budgie (we chose the green one, like the adult pictured above), and everyone was smitten - especially Emma and Eli! I wasn't sure what he would think of the whole experience, but Eli has such a sweet way with animals and really does seem to enjoy them. He kept pointing to the bird nestled in my hands and signing "Little Baby!!" with wide eyes and this huge grin on his face. Joshua was a bit more reserved, he proclaimed that once the bird has all it's feathers, it would be very cute - but right now it was "really disgusting". Our little guy or girl will be weaned in the next 3 - 5 weeks, and we'll be able to bring him or her home.
I'll be sure to post pics of the big event, and I'm sorry to all of you who are not animal lovers and therefore have been very bored by this post, lol!
Love,
Jen
Ps. It is hard to tell who is most excited - the kids or their Mama! Even Joel has warmed to the idea, although I think he's just having fun seeing how much joy it's bringing his family.

No comments: