Saturday, December 1, 2007

Eli's First Crush!

This is Tiana, Eli's first love.

You have to admit, he has excellent taste! I have had the great honor and blessing of knowing this beautiful young woman since she was four years old. I was her preschool teacher's assistant, and later I worked for her family as a live in nanny for a little over two years. When Joel and I got married, I moved from New Mexico to Florida and a few years later lost touch with Tiana and her brothers. I've always regretted that. Recently Tiana began attending college about 45 minutes from our home, and I am completely thrilled to have her back in my life. She is an amazing person, and I am slowly getting used to the fact that she is no longer 8 years old. It's taking me awhile, but Tiana is being kind about it! The first time she came over to meet Eli, he got the strangest look on his face and then this huge smile. He quickly took me aside and signed "Mama . . . that's a girl". Since Eli has seen alot of 'girls' in his time, I'm assuming he meant to indicate that this one was quite special. Every time he sees her, he's got lots of smiles, hugs, and attempts to impress her with his masculine powers. He performs feats of strength for her (lifting his siblings into the air - yikes) and always makes sure he's sitting as near her as possible.

Here is another photo of Tiana with the girls. This picture is quite special to me, partly because it's so strange to see grown up Tiana next to my two young daughters, but mostly because of the story I'll share with you now. When Tiana was about 7, she would always climb into bed with me when she had a nightmare or there was a thunderstorm. One particularly stormy night, we were snuggled up talking when she abruptly stopped and put her hands on my cheeks. She said "Jen, what if someday you have your own little girl, then what about me?" Her eyes were wide and teary, and mine welled up at the sight of her distress. "Tiana, even if one day God blesses me with ten little girls of my own - you will always be my first little girl, and I will always love you very much".

And it's still true.


~ Jen



1 comment:

Corie Barnhart-Grogan said...

Oh jen, I remember that srory like it was yesterday! Tears were flowing after reading it and seeing Tiana today!! It took me back to the times when I would pull up in the driveway and Chris, Alex and Tiana would be playing out front with the neighbors kids (Ruth was their mother's name). Tiana has grown into such a beautiful young woman. I am so happy that the 2 of you have reconnected!
Love,
Mom