Tuesday, December 4, 2007

First Day of School!


On Monday, Eli started school! This was a day I've been dreading for so many reasons. But once again, God blessed it beyond my wildest dreams. We decided to put Eli in full time and see how he did with that. He splits his day between the special education class and the second grade classroom. The special education class is due to his lack of language. He seemed excited but became a little nervous when told him I was going to leave. I asked his teacher to call me if he seemed upset, but instead I got a phone call at lunch time telling me what an awesome day he was having! He really loved school, Praise God!!!
We are so blessed to have such an amazing school for Eli, his teachers are fabulous and the resources at the school are out of this world. When I picked him up, he was happy to see me but seemed a little bummed that we were leaving! He told me all about his day - the pair of reindeer the children got to pet, the hamburgers for lunch, his teachers and on and on. When he saw his siblings in the car, he positively lit up. He bounded into the car and immediately grabbed Joshua's hand and kissed it! It was too sweet!
Once we were home, he began going through the house showing me new signs he'd learned. There were a few new to me, and I figure it won't be long before the pupil becomes the master!
This morning he was practically beside himself with excitement to get to school. I ran into his special education teacher in the hallway, and she told me that she doesn't expect to have Eli in her class for very long. She said he is picking up things so quickly, and is so eager to learn, that he will progress really fast. My heart is so full, and I am so happy for him. It amazes me to see what God has done in the life of this child. It is such a gift to watch these blessings unfold for Eli.
I must admit, Monday was one of the longest days I can remember. Our house felt so strange and somehow empty to me with Eli gone. I'm so glad that I have the other three home with me this year, but we all miss Eli during the day and can't wait to go and get him. He's only been home one month, but he is already such an integral part of our home and we feel his absence big time. I am so very thankful to God for that, for leading me on my journey to China with Kimberly, for causing my breath to stop and my heart to skip a beat the first moment I laid eyes on Eli, and for choosing me to help usher this precious boy through life.
I have a ton of other pictures to post of Eli's first haircut, trimming the tree, and some arts and crafts at home. Hopefully I'll get to those tomorrow!


Love,
Jen








1 comment:

Cindy said...

That is wonderful! It is a gift when these children can take that next step in adjusting to their new home with (seemingly) so little effort and so much excitement. Praising God with you and for Eli and your family.

One thing I can't help but point out is that, at least with Eli speaking in ASL, you don't have to try to figure out what he is saying through a thick, Chinese accent!

Blessings,
Cindy