Sunday, August 3, 2008

Gotcha Day Anniversary . . . Looking Back

This is the very first photo I ever saw of Hannah. It makes me giggle each time I see it, remembering how gorgeous I thought it was. I remember calling my Dad and waiting for him to check his email after getting her referral. When he got it, I breathlessly cried, "Dad, isn't she gorgeous?!!" He paused and very tactfully replied . . . "Well honey, I'm sure she will be".
LOL! I was so offended I couldn't even formulate a response. Poor Hannah! Mommy won't ever tell you that story. And neither will PopPop, if he knows what's good for him. But Dad, I can always count on you for an honest response, whether I like it or not, and I'm thankful for that, I really am! A few weeks later, we received some updated pictures of her. Her sad little eyes broke my heart, and I couldn't wait to see what a smile looked like on that sweet mouth!
This is Hannah at the orphanage, with her best friend, Maya. Maya now lives in Missouri with her precious forever family. After all these years, these photos still break my heart. Both girls seem to have this searching, plaintive look in those deep eyes of theirs. How fortunate am I, to have seen those same eyes begin to sparkle, and crinkle up in joyful laughter?
A road sign marking the exit to Liangping, where Hannah's orphanage was.
Sandy and I took a four day guided tour of Beijing before travelling to Chongqing to receive Hannah. I have some really fun memories of that trip, especially since it was my first experience in a foreign country! Here we are on the Great Wall, wasn't my hair China-licious? Jen, my China hair has your China hair beat, admit defeat! Here we are, on the bus to Civil Affairs to get our babies! You can tell who the expectant parents are (Frank and Jennie Nation, and myself) because we have the full facial borderline hysterical smiles. Sandy is in the back, and the three Nation teenagers make up the rest of the group. All of my Gotcha Day photos are courtesy of the pretty brunette by the window, Autumn Nation!
This is my absolute favorite Gotcha Day picture, mainly because of the story behind it. Remember that panic that I pushed aside in the hotel room earlier? Well, when they handed Hannah to me, and she began to scream in absolute terror, not to mention kicking, scratching, and biting me, it came back full force. The coffee and melon I choked down for breakfast collided in my stomach in a most unholy way. As I walked my screaming, violent daughter up and down the room, I said one prayer over and over again - "Please God, just don't let me throw up". Because, I really, really was going to. I felt like that would make a terrible impression on the Chinese officials as to my mothering abilities. Right around this time, Frank Nation walked discreetly into the path I'd been wearing in the tile floor. He winked at me and mouthed the words "It's okay. It's going to be okay." I don't think, to this day, he knows what a profound effect that simple encouragement had on me. It brought on a wave of relief and settled my outraged stomach right then and there. I immediately believed him, and knew that it really was going to be okay, and I was able to pour myself completely into comforting my daughter. A few minutes later, Autumn snapped this shot: This is a Chinese notary official and I, trying to get Hannah to consent to the adoption. She had to put her little finger in red ink, and press it onto the signature line on the form. She refused, and I don't really blame her. Who wants to rush into a commitment like that without thinking it over? The official was annoyed and told me that Hannah was "stubborn". Oh Yeah??
Well, she forgot "loud". Our first outing together - the Chongqing Zoo. I can't tell you how fussed I got by Chinese people over carrying Hannah in my sling. Everywhere we went, people fussed me because she was "too old" to be carried in this way. I even had one guy try to help me out by attempting to yank her out of it. Hannah and I freaked out. Thanks for the future therapy costs, random Chinese guy. Anyway, Hannah loved her sling. Each morning when I'd begin to put it on, she'd run over and dance around me, ready to be lifted in. It was a life saver at restaurant buffets, since it enabled me to fix and carry both of our plates.

Our traditional Red Couch Photo. We have several, but this is my favorite. I know Hannah looks pitiful, as she did every time I walked more than a few inches away from her. What cracks me up is little Abby Nation in the middle. This photo pretty much sums up her personality, which is huge. I love how the other baby is looking at her, as if she's pretty sure that Abby had a three martini lunch. But Abby doesn't care. She's wondering how come the other girls don't think the red couch is as hi-lar-i-ous as she does!
And to close off the post, this is my all time favorite picture of my Hannah. It captures perfectly the beautiful sweetness mixed with mischief that is Hannah Elise Liang Yi Hawkins!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

She is so lovely-what a blessing!

Sissy said...

Oh Jen, thank you for sharing this post, and for retelling the highlights of your trip to bring Hannah home. It is so wonderful to remember what that journey was like and all the miraculous ways that you found peace and joy in each moment, even in the midst of the trauma.
I love the story about Frank telling you it's going to be okay, and how it gave you the courage you needed at that moment. I loved seeing Abby's amazing little smile, and the comment about the "3-martini lunch" look she got from the other baby was classic! LOL And "HELLO!" What the heck with trying to get Hannah to give a fingerprint willingly right after Gotcha? DUH! And then saying she's stubborn because she won't comply. Yeah, how dare she be so obstinate at a time like that? Geez...

And another thing- Hannah WAS gorgeous in my book!! AND she grows more and more so with each year that passes. Your dad, however, IS entitled to his opinion, and I DO appreciate his sense of humor no matter how brutal his honesty might be!

Lastly, I simply must say... your China hair is way too cute to trump my crazy China hair! No bones about it, my dear- TOO BAD... YOU LOSE.


I love you, beautiful China hair girl,

Jen

Corie Barnhart-Grogan said...

My dear sweet Hannah, happy forever home day!! I agree with your auntie, I thought you were beautiful the moment I laid eyes on that first precious picture..I still carry it in my purse! I am so grateful..you are a beautiful blessing to our family. Thank you Jesus for bringing us all together in so many miraculous ways!
Love,
Rinnie

Kay Bratt said...

What an awesome post-- entertaining, yet honest. Your favorite picture is indeed a striking pose of what will be a most beautiful woman.

Kay

Patricia said...

I can not believe how she has grown and how beautiful she is! ( of course I thought she was beautiful in china) Wow... you are so very blessed. It is hard to believe it has been 3 years huh?

Patricia