Sunday, August 24, 2008

Quandry Peak - Fun at 14,265 Ft.!

Emma's goal this summer was to get to the summit of her first 14er. Joel took Joshua and Emma on Friday night, they had a fun night swimming in a hotel and set out super early Saturday morning to climb Mt. Quandry. Can I take a "Mommy Moment" here? I think that all my fellow Mommies will understand me. When I was drifting off to sleep on Friday night, I was thinking of all the wonderful pictures that Joel would bring home from their trip. I bolted fully awake and cringed when I thought of the way Emma's hair would probably look in them.
I wasn't wrong.
We've actually had friends (guy friends, no less) who have run into Joel out in public with the kids make comments about the . . . um . . . unusually disheveled state of my children.
Joel! Use the hairbrush Joel!
This was the message I tried to send, but alas, that only works for Obi-Wan Kenobi. Okay, Mommy moment over, thank you for indulging me.
Here they are, all puffy faced and sleepy, getting ready to start their hike: I have to interupt the flow of pictures for a story here, and all of my dog loving friends will understand. Sorry Trina, you can skip this part. Anyway, in the picture below I want you to meet Butterscotch. Did you ever see such a sweet, loyal face? Here she is, watching over her master while he catches a nap - on a cliff. I can't imagine anything less restful. I wonder if Butterscotch thinks that's as weird as I do? Nah, she looks like she thinks everything he does is just about right. Her owner is from Texas, and he told Joel he rescued her as a stray. And my favorite story of the day. Once on the summit, a fellow hiker asked Joel if he'd seen the mountain goats over on the south side of the summit. In order to get a glimpse, they had to traverse a ridge with drop offs on either side. He helped Josh across, and reached his hand out to Emma. Her response - no way, man. That's my girl. Joel worked all of his charm on her, to no avail. Suddenly, she saw a white speck a few feet away - and knew he had her. As soon as he pointed out these guys you'll see below, Emma was eager to cross the ridge. You can lure some kids with candy, some with toys. Emma can be lured with wildlife. It's like I've been cloned.


I think she would have sat and watched these mountain goats all day if she could.

See her face bursting with delight?!

Here they are at the very top!


Someone ran out of steam!

My little Mountain Man on his second 14er!

Time to head back down. The hike took a total of nine hours! The kids were so worn out, Joel said the trip down was pretty tough. But once they hit the car they were so jubliant that they made it! I'm so proud of you guys! You are amazing!!

2 comments:

Corie Barnhart-Grogan said...

You yeau-yeau's are gorgeous! I am so proud of you. But I still maintain that I would feel much better if you found fun things to do at an elevation of let's say...ground level..whatever that elevation might be. The guy taking a nap..(I want to hug his dog..oh how sweet!)how do you nap with a drop off like what I see at the tip of your toes!!! You don't go to sleep there..YIKES!
I sat here and watched Emma watching the Rams for the longest, I wonder what she was thinking or was she just so completely lost in the wonder of it all, I think probably the latter. Emma, Grandpa Barnhart loved watching for the mountain goats when we would go to Ouray, CO. and even when he was a little boy and went there with his parents..I'm sure your Mommy remembers the stories.
Josh, awesome! That's 2 under you belt already. You guys are amazing. I love you!

Maia said...

Gorgeous!! Go, Emma!! It so makes me miss my fourteeners!! Oh, the things we have to look forward to with Flynn!!