Friday, November 21, 2008

Emma-isms

Around our house, we call them Emma-isms.

Sometimes Emma-isms are hilarious because she meant them to be, and sometimes you have to leave the room in a rush to laugh in private. Emma is my passionate one. No matter what she is feeling, she is feeling it 110% and has the power to take you along for the ride. The blackest mood cannot withstand Emma's laugh, and the most steadfast of patient souls can't hold up for long under her fury. My point is that Emma's highs and lows generally produce some memorable moments, and yesterday after school we had another one.

I could see the storm clouds gathering before she even got in the car - something in her day had gone amiss, and I had better fix it quick before my entire evening ended up a casualty of war.

Me: "Hi Sweetie, how was your day?"
Emma: (furious scowl) "Not good."
Me: "Tell me about it, what happened?"
Emma: "I HATE MATH!"
Me: (secretly in agreement with her) "Oh No Em, you don't hate Math, you're so good at it!"
Emma: "I HATE MATH BECAUSE EVERY WEEK WE HAVE A TIMER TEST. ONE WEEK I GO FAST AND I MAKE ALOT OF MISTAKES AND THE TEACHER TELLS ME I HAVE TO BE MORE CAREFUL! THE NEXT WEEK I GO SLOW AND I GET RIGHT ANSWERS BUT THEN THE TEACHER TELLS ME I NEED TO GO FASTER AND GET MORE PROBLEMS DONE. THIS IS BECOMING A PATTERN!!! AND I HATE THIS PATTERN AND I KNOW IT'S JUST NEVER GONNA STOP!"

This was all yelled at me in a rush, I'm pretty sure she didn't breathe even once through it. I also think I chewed a good portion of my bottom lip off trying not to crack up when she said the part about the pattern.

My sage little Emma, it takes alot of wisdom to recognize when we've entered into an unhealthy pattern in our lives. She's already got the idea at the tender age of 7!

Once she had vented all of her rage over the injustice of Math Minutes, she was much better. The funny thing is, I totally remember being so frustrated at those timed tests - the panic that set in and wiped my brain completely clean of Math facts as soon as the timer began ticking.
Anyone else remember those things?

~ Jen

PS. For my sister - I chose this picture because I keep forgetting to mention the GAP hoodie to you when we talk. I so remember Camryn wearing it, and now Hannah is wearing it. I have to say - whatever you paid for that hoodie was a bargain! It's gotten through three active little girls' practically daily wear and still looks great! Long live the red GAP hoodie!!

1 comment:

Clint and Jennifer said...

"Emma-isms" are the BEST! You need to keep a journal of them- one day, you can publish a book!

We adore Emma for many reasons, but this is up at the top. No-one can bring a smile to my face quite like Emma can.

Love her- and YOU!
Jen