Friday, December 19, 2008

Peek-A-Boo Puppies

I can't stand it when people have animals and don't take proper care of them. For instance, when people have dogs that are left outside all of the time, no matter what the temperature. What is it with those people - why even have pets at all? What is the point of having a pet that you have no desire to interact with, thereby leaving the helpless animal to suffer from your neglect?

Unfortunately, we have neighbors like this. It started with a darling little golden retriever puppy, who sat outside in their back yard crying pitifully all day long - rain or shine, sleet or snow. Humanitarians that they are, they were unwilling to let this puppy suffer alone, so they added another - this time one of those sweet fluffy little goldendoodle thingies. The best I can say is that at least they have each other. Amazingly, their lack of proper loving care has not impacted their sweetness - they are really just SO sweet it would break your heart.

Why am I talking about my neighbor's poor pooches? I promise I have a reason! Today I found this in our back yard:

To be fair, it's possible that one of our dogs knocked out this portion of the fence. It's a very old fence, after all. I think it's more likely that we had some very bored Retrievers working at the wood on the other side - maybe they hatched an escape plan? Here's how I imagine that went:

Golden: "Cute fuzzy friend, I really hate our owners."

Doodle: "Me too, if I could just remember what they looked like, I'd bare my teeth while picturing their faces."

Golden: "Those dogs next door have it made, have you noticed they only go outside to use the bathroom, and then they go right back in?? And I've seen their Mom give them treats - and she always talks so sweetly to us too."

Doodle: "Yeah, she's one gorgeous human."

Golden: "Say . . . there's only this rickety old fence between us and her . . . if we dug long and hard enough, I bet we'll get through."

Doodle: "You are a cuddly genius! And so cute too! Once we're over there, she'll never be able to resist our fuzzy perfection. We'll be curled up at her feet eating doggie cookies before the sun sets! Put your cutest face on, we're going in!!"

"Um, wait - move your head over a bit, we're almost through . . . arrrrggggghhhh this is not working out quite like I thought!! Rats! Well at least we can see the pretty nice human better like this. Hey pretty nice human! Give us a hand, would you? Okay . . . give us a cookie??"

4 comments:

DBoggs said...

Jen, you do have an uncanny knack for reading dogs' minds and knowing exactly what they are really saying!! But seriously I am *wincing* at this post because I know it is our former backyard you are referring to and I can't imagine why anyone would keep a beautiful Golden (or Doodle-thingy) outside all day long. I think this calls for a trip up to the Springs right away to set your neighbors right!
love and Merry Christmas to your fam from your former (dog-loving) neighbors, Mr. Kevin and Mrs. Debby :)
p.s. what timing - we are going to look at Golden puppies tomorrow! Lani is healthy and well but she's 12 now...need I say more?

Carrie said...

Oh I have a wonderful Doggie-Abby! She is 9 months old this month and I think it is aweful abou those dogs-My dog loves to be out side but not all day she has 1 1/2 acres to run and play and hide-sometimes when you call her in she will hide behind a tree and then when you come around she will jump on you it is to funny- but she is our baby and I would never mistreat her! Do they at least have a dog house? I think in FL you must have somewhere for your dog to go under xtreme weather. I remember signing something when we adopted her!

Clint and Jennifer said...

OOOOh, Jen jen... you take one and I'll take one, how's that sound? Ugh, those poor puppies- hearing about their neglect is one thing, but seeing it with my own eyes is quite another. My only comfort is to know they have you to talk sweetly to them every day... unless that is, they've managed to bust through that hole by now? Then I can picture them all cuddled together in your nice warm living room telling one another, "Now THIS is the LIFE."
Well, either way, give them a cookie and a kiss for me, would you?
Love you,
Jen

Clint and Jennifer said...

Happy Christmas my Love! Give all those beautiful babies, your sweet husband, and our precious momma gigantic hugs for me!!!
I miss you soooooo!!!!!!
Hope you're all feeling better,
Much Love,
Jen