Sunday, February 22, 2009

Big Day For Emma!

Emma got her ears pierced today!
Here she is very carefully choosing her first earrings:Decisions like these take alot of time, but she finally settled on her birthstone:

Emma goofed around while I signed a waiver acknowledging that her ears might fall off - and if they should fall off, I am not to hold the store responsible.
She is still blissfully unaware that we're watching her ears for signs of coming loose:Now that she's in the chair, I think the nerves are setting in:
Gulp:
They pierce both ears at the same time now - everyone but me probably already knew that.
One . . . Two . . . Three!
She didn't cry, but her sweet little face turned bright red and I could tell she was fighting off the tears with a mighty effort. Right after it was done, one of the girls asked Emma if she wanted to see them.
Emma's response was "NO!" She then collected herself and explained, "That hurt alot more than I thought it would", and accepted a mirror after all. I think she was happy with the result:
She looks like such a big girl:
I got a little teary watching my daughter go through this little rite of passage. I know that might seem silly! I was about her age when my Mom took me to get my ears pierced, and I remember well the excitement and the nerves and how I couldn't stop examining my new earrings in the mirror all day long.
Hannah is now, of course, begging to get her ears pierced. I told her we'd talk about it again in about three years.
~ Jen

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I think they started doing them both at the same time because they had so many one-eared kids running around. It started a whole new trend.

Congrats, Emma--you all of a sudden look so grown-up!

Clint and Jennifer said...

OMG!!!!!Ok this is camryn here! WOW!!!! I don't even have my ears pierced I am too scared myself and I am almost tewlve!! I think she is so brave and awesome! They look so cute, but I have to say we do need more of a close up! So what color are the earings again? Well, I just want to say they are so cute on Emma and CONGRATULATIONS EMMA!!!! I love and miss you guys and can't wait till we come over there!!!

Love you all,
Camryn