Friday, March 21, 2008

My Beach Babies . . .












We had a great time at the beach yesterday!

It was Hannah and Eli's first time seeing the ocean, and it was like Emma's first time because she was too young to remember her actual first time!

The weather forecast indicated that it would be cold and windy, so we bundled up and even took an extra bin of warm clothing. When we arrived and I could see people frolicking around in bikinis, I thought to myself "Crazy Californians . . . "! But we stepped out of the car into the very warm calm of a perfect beach day - in midsummer. Oops! We took a quick detour into a tourist shop and bought some tshirts. Not money we were planning to spend, but I really wanted the kids to enjoy this experience without the memorable addition of suffering a heat stroke. Tshirts on, brand new buckets courtesy of Auntie slung over our arms, and we were a go for the beach.
The kids spent the next several hours digging for shells, building sand mounds, and of course doing the 'get soaked in the water, get positively caked in sand, repeat' routine. It was such a beautiful, fun day. I hope the kids will always remember it, I know that I will!

Tomorrow we head home - we are all very sad about that. Emma burst into tears when I told her this morning that today would be our last day. Jen and I are trying our best to enjoy each other, but I think we are both starting to feel that "last day" depression sink in. We see each other so rarely, the time flew by in a blink. I am so thankful for the time we did have, I just wish it could be longer . . . like forever, LOL!
On the way home, we plan on cutting our drive in two parts to save ourselves the agony of another straight 18 hour drive. We'll stop at my friend Eric's mom's place in Albuquerque, and then head to Colorado Springs Sunday morning. That will give us a 12 hour day and a 6 hour day - that sounds like heaven compared to our marathon on the way here.

Josh and Joel - get those home fires burning, get your socks off the couch, change your clothes and brush your teeth - basically, bachelor week and all your fun is at an end - here we come!

Love,
Jen

1 comment:

Trina said...

HI!!! I am so glad you have all had a great time in CA!! It looks like so much fun!! I know you are sad to leave your sissy, but I will be glad to have my phone pal back in CO! I hope the traveling goes well!