Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Movie Night


Last night, the girls and I had a "Girl's Only Movie Night" after the boys had gone to bed. I've done this a few times with the boys, and the girls were so excited to have their turn! I borrowed the movie "Ella Enchanted" from a friend - it was very cute, by the way!

I have never thought about the fact that both girls have only ever seen very "chaste" kisses both onscreen and off, since Joel and I do try and control ourselves around the children. However, the kisses in this movie were not quite the happily ever after "pecks" they are accustomed to. Just as I began to feel a teensy bit uneasy about it, Emma says:

"What are they doing?!?"

"Kissing", I answered - in what I hoped was a very nonchalant tone.

Emma:"Oh, okay - well it looks like they're biting each other's lips. Gross. I'm not ever going to kiss someone like that."

Somehow, I resisted the urge to whip out pen and contract on the spot, and elected not to comment at all. Fortunately, I didn't have to suffer any uncomfortable questions like the one I was most anticipating - "Does Daddy ever kiss you like that?"

It reminded me of the day that Joel and I gave up "grown up" TV before 8 p.m.

Joshua was almost 2, and he looked up at the TV during a similar scene. His eyes became like saucers, and he exclaimed, "Mama! Why man eat her face??"

Oddly enough, that was pretty much what my first kiss felt like . . .

Love,
Jen

5 comments:

Carrie said...

So does Daddy kiss you like that?
too cute-MJ laughs so hard when Aaron and I peck a kiss on the lips! Hey it is good for them to see the love I think!

Trina said...

That is too cute!! I love it!

Sissy said...

Oh Man! You do realize it's all downhill from here on out, right?!

That discomfort you felt is only the TIP of the iceburg. Oh FUN! FUN! FUN!

Corie Barnhart-Grogan said...

I'm laughing so hard I can't make any other "comments"... :)

Maia said...

You so made me laugh!! Because I still clearly remember that that's what my first kiss felt like too! And afterward I was like "Eeeeeeew! Gross! I don't know why anyone likes that, and I certainly am NEVER doing THAT again!" Haha!