Friday, January 30, 2009

Pup-date

I mentioned in my previous post that I was having some anxiety about Lucy's temperament. I've actually been feeling very nervous about my choice since the second time we visited her. I couldn't ignore my gut feelings any longer and called the breeder yesterday to discuss my concerns. I ended up going over yesterday afternoon, observing the litter for about an hour, and choosing another puppy. During the hour I watched her, I noticed Lucy was not only very fearful of me, but also cowered and tucked her tail around the breeder. I was really hoping I'd see things that encouraged me about her, but the more I watched her the more I knew she wasn't a good fit for us.

I'd never interacted with the other puppies much, so I spent some time with the three that were still available. Two beautiful yellow boys and one adorable black female. The boys were so tempting! They were gorgeous, sweet, playful, and just downright puppylicious. The female was outgoing and inquisitive, not too dominant, and very sweet - exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure the breeder thinks I'm a nut, and the kids felt we'd abandoned poor Lucy - but I feel so much better about this choice. Getting a dog is making a 13+ year commitment, and I want to make sure we get the right one for our family dynamic.

After much discussion on the matter, none of us could bear to just switch the name we'd so painstakingly chosen over to another dog.
We took a vote and settled on Maggie Mae.
We pick her up this afternoon, so prepare yourselves - this blog will soon be inundated with puppy pictures, videos of the family reveling in puppy raptures, and lots of stupid puppy stories that I find hilarious and you find ridiculous.

~ Jen

4 comments:

Carrie said...

can't wait- I love dogs-don't fell bad- I did the same . We picked out a dog then brought the kids to see how the dog and kids did-nope- so we switched to our wonderful Abby and we have never been happier!

Carrie said...

PS I sent you an award check out my blog for details!

Clint and Jennifer said...

Looking for Pup-Date pictures of Maggie Mae now... can't wait!!! Checking back... checking back... checking back...
Videos are always good too.
Oh, and if you want to write something, well, I might skim it (post skimmer that I am!) because I'll be obsessed with looking at the pictures, but I certainly WON'T find any of it ridiculous.
Love you,
Jen

Kimberly said...

Hurry up! I keep checking and checking, and there's still nothing!

It sounds like Maggie Mae will be a much better fit for a household with active kids. Sounds like Lucy would have been miserable there. You did good, she just needs a different match than you guys.

Can't wait to see the pix and stories!