Sunday, June 15, 2008

Platonic Wedgie?

Besides getting to spend this wonderful time with Caleb and Camryn, the best part of being here is feeling like I'm reconnecting with my own four children. We don't have to be quiet during the day, which has brought my own stress level down considerably, plus we're out of our daily routine and just enjoying each other.

Last night I carried a barely conscious Josh and Emma into the bedroom we're sharing and laid them down. I went and brushed my teeth, and came back into the room to find two hysterically silly children. I have no idea how that happened.

The thing about hysterically silly children is that it's almost impossible not to join in. But it was late and I was tired, so I tried very hard to make my voice sound serious when I asked what on earth they were laughing so hard about.

"Mama, what's a Platonic Wedgie?"
screams of laughter
"A What?"
"I heard it on TV, a Platonic Wedgie"
uh oh, someone said wedgie again, more laughter - this time I couldn't help it and joined in.
"Do you mean, an Atomic Wedgie?"
I admit, I laughed just saying it, too - I told you, it's contagious.
"Yes! Mama, what IS an Atomic Wedgie, why do they call it that?"
And that is the story of how I found myself, at midnight, between hysterical giggles, explaining to my 8 and 7 year olds how to give someone an atomic wedgie. And how and why it was different from a regular one.

These are the moments in parenting that you just can't anticipate. Actually, I don't think I've ever imagined myself having a conversation about wedgies with anyone. Oh well, the point is that you just never know.

As it happens, I kind of like the term "Platonic Wedgie". Maybe that's when just your pants are involved? After our wedgie discussion, Emma proposed that it would be much cooler if underwear were called WonderWear. She said it would make it sound more exciting, like something superheroes would wear. After the three of us recovered from laughing, I told her that I agreed 100%. Then I put on my Mommy hat and told them that really, it was WAY too late and they had to go to sleep now. But for those of you who know me - does it scare you as much as it does me that her mind works so much like mine? WonderWear - it makes perfect sense to me.

A few moments of dark silence later, Emma murmured drowsily:

"Mama, I love it when we laugh like we do".

Wow. The way she said that took my breath away, and tears of thanksgiving filled my eyes.

I love it when we laugh "like we do" too. But most of all I just love being a part of that "We".

~ Jen

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I almost wet myself I laughed so hard.

Corie Barnhart-Grogan said...

I love this!! When you were describing how you heard them, I could hear them in my mind and it was wonderful. I too love it when "we laugh like we do"!!

Maia said...

Hey! I don't know what an Atomic Wedgie is?? Is it because I"m an only child??

So beautiful about the laughing together. It's a wonderful thing, and the sign of a good family. Warms my heart!