Thursday, June 5, 2008

We're Here, They're Not!


I know I promised family and friends that I would update regularly from California, but since our arrival on Monday I've been soaking up my time with my sister and helping out in whatever little ways I can. This morning around 5 a.m., they left for Hong Kong!

It has just been so sweet to see the high state of anticipation my sister has been in these past few days. The excitement that lights up her eyes even when she's talking about something wholly unrelated to the adoption, and the dreamy, far off look that she gets when things are quiet. It's wonderful to watch someone you love so much in this stage of the adoption process. Her excitement is my excitement, and my heart has been skipping along joyously in time with hers. Knowing that very soon, her heart's desire will be placed in her arms to stay forever is completely exhilarating!

There is only one thing that has surprised me from over here on this side of adoption. Last night and this morning, I found myself feeling these intense waves of sadness. All of the sudden I realized how much I am going to miss my sister! We talk at least twice on most days, more if there is something really noteworthy going on! It's going to be strange to have her so far away for two whole weeks! I never realized before that there should be a distance limitation between sisters. If there was one, my sister would be FAR outside the boundaries right now. Please don't get me wrong, I know that I must sound so selfish. I am SO happy that my sister is exactly where she is, and absolute joy is my primary emotion right now. I just didn't realize how forlorn I would feel without my touchstone.

You see, my sister is the one I never have to explain myself to. She just seems to know, and on the rare occasions she doesn't get it - she always gives me the benefit of the doubt. She can say the "hard things" to me, but she never runs out of grace for me. I can say anything to her, and never fear condemnation. I can tell how she's feeling as soon as I hear her voice, or even by the way she words a casual email. She can tell me what I'm feeling when I'm too lost to find the right words. I'm so blessed.

I'm so blessed to have such a sister, and to be a part of her journey to her baby daughter. I'm so blessed to share these two weeks with my niece and nephew, and to be here to watch this family grow. I will post more pictures of our "Home Team China" (our new name) and all of our doings soon. Jen and Clint are "Away Team China" and you can see all of THEIR doings on:


Love,
Jen

4 comments:

Blomquist Blog said...

Hi Jen!
I am Debbie (your sister's) friend. I think it is so wonderful what you are doing for her. I know Caleb and Camryn are in such great hands and I am sure they will enjoy the time with their cousins and Aunt. I know you have been a HUGE role model for Jen. I have enjoyed getting to know you through her. You are a huge source of inspiration for many and I commend you for all you have done! Enjoy this time with your niece and nephew and of course your own kids too. I can't think of anyone better for Jen and Clint to introduce their new daughter to than you! We will keep checking your blog for "Home Team China" to see all the fun you are having!

God Bless,

Debbie Blomquist

Trina said...

HI!!! I have been praying for all of you and wondering how things are going! I am glad to see an update on the blog! I will keep praying for all of you! I know you will miss your sweet sissy, but hang in there sweet thing! Much love to you and yours. I will check back again for progress in "Home Team China". :)

~natty and barclay said...

Jenny, I am so thankful that you are YOU and YOU are taking care of my precious Caleb and Cameryn! I know that they will have a great time with their Auntie and cousins. You are an awesome sister to Jennifer and a blessing to the family. Thank you for what you are doing, it is a ministry! I think of you as the Doula! LOL! You guys have a wonderful time. All of you in "Home Team China" are in my prayers. Hugs! Nancy

BTW~ Aren't we are all so "Animal Friendly" with our avatars! We thank God for all creatures both great and small!

Carrie said...

so glad they are off-don't worry they will be back soon with a bundle of joy to share!