Monday, July 21, 2008

Summer Is Winding Down . . .

I am turning out to be the summer's worst blogger! I wonder if there is an award for that?

In any case, I've thought up an excuse. My sister has a new baby to post pictures of on her blog, and everyone knows that pictures of a new baby trump every other kind of picture. So, maybe I'm not posting many pictures out of respect for my sister's moment in the limelight? I mean, you wouldn't get married on the same day as your sister, right? Or, maybe we just haven't been doing anything very "picture worthy" lately - you can decide which excuse you like better.

The past few weeks have been pretty slow, with the kids playing with neighborhood friends and me drifting through the much slower routine of these last summer days. It's hard to believe that we have only a few weeks of summer vacation left! The proof sits beside me as I type - in the form of four backpacks lined up, ready to be stuffed full of newly purchased school supplies. Josh, Emma, and Hannah are excited - especially Hannah as this will be her first year! Eli looks uncomfortable whenever school is mentioned, and seems to think he learned plenty last year and shouldn't be expected to return.

The other day I was talking to a friend about one of my favorite books, Dickens' "David Copperfield". It's been nearly 10 years since I first read it, so I decided to take it out and read it over again. I only tell you this because it amazes me how your perception of a book and its characters can completely transform as you gain more life experience. When I first read this book, I was newly married and childless. Alot has happened in my life since then, and my experiences have dramatically changed how I see some of the book's characters. One thing that has not changed is the thrill I experienced reading, what I still believe is the best opening line in literary history:

"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show."

In fact, my life experiences over the years have only served to make that line even more poignant. What an amazing point to ponder - if your life story was told, who would be the hero?

Love,
Jen
Ps. If you haven't read "David Copperfield", you really should - quick, before the summer is over and you are back to required reading only!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Hey I like your post pic's or not! I have checked out your sister site alot though-what a cutie- I would not want my life story told-I don't think I am much of a hero but maybe a helpful person some would say but I just like to make people happy-it makes me smile on the inside!

Sissy said...

I TRIED to read David Copperfield years ago at your prompting, do you recall? Yes, so I got half way through the first chapter, and while I DID love it, I am just not the reader you are, as much as I long to be!! I will have to ponder that question about the hero...
Hey, how's about some better pictures of the girls and their cute haircuts?
You know I always love your posts- pictures or not, baby or not!!
LOVE YOU!

fourlittlehawks said...

You have to ponder it? I thought I was your hero! Oh man . . . I've really got to step up my game.

Love You,
Jen

Sissy said...

DUH, silly! If I actually SAID that, on YOUR blog, nonetheless, how much of a kiss-up would I sound like?!!