Thursday, October 2, 2008

Seasons . . .

Maybe it's the cloudy weather today, but I'm feeling a bit melancholy.

Our family has entered a new season, with all four children in school and each with their own activities. Life has changed. I know this is all normal, and every family experiences it as their children grow, but I'm struggling to find my groove in the midst of it.

The biggest issue is that we have something going on every night of the week. ASL classes, an ASL reading tutor, swimming two nights a week, ballet, then church. I'm still trying to get it all to run smoothly alongside dinner, baths, and homework. I think what makes me feel melancholy is that I feel like I'm never just spending time with any of the children. It feels as though I'm either speeding around getting us ready to go somewhere - or when we are at home, I'm trying to catch up with things around the house. I can't seem to find a rhythm to it all, or a sense of accomplishment in any of it. I feel as though I'm just running to keep up, but I don't feel I'm doing a very good job of it.

I know that the secret is to be more purposeful about the time we do have together as a family. For some reason, I'm just having a tough time finding the balance I need to do that. I feel quick tempered and exasperated far too often, no matter how much I try to stay calm and take things in stride.

I know there is nothing unique about my experience, but I just thought I would share what I'm feeling in this new season of life. This post isn't very cheerful, but it's where I really am right at this moment. If anyone reading this has any tips or words of wisdom from their own experience, I'd love to hear them!

~ Jen

1 comment:

Sissy said...

Hey... so I don't know if I have any words of wisdom for this new season of your life, but I do relate to what you're feeling.
I love you sweet sissy. Thanks for keeping it real and sharing where you really are. I'm glad the dancing crossing guard lightened your load for the moment! That was too cute!

Jen