Monday, October 20, 2008

Second Race In The Fall Series . . .

Sunday was the second race in the annual Pikes Peak Road Runners Fall Series. The kids really look forward to this every year. This race was held at Bear Creek Park. It was an absolutely perfect fall day, with the leaves on the trees at the peak of their fall glory. Here are the kids, all warmed up and ready to run:I love how Hannah runs with her arms straight down at her sides. She's been shown the "right" way, but she much prefers "her" way. She just looks so cute with her very serious running face on - my sweet little robot girl.Emma's runs freestyle - the way Emma does everything. She has the best time running and always gives it her all. Well, to be completely honest about that last statement - last year we did have some trouble with her running off the trail when she saw a particularly pretty flower or butterfly! Eli really enjoys running, too! His only issue is pacing himself, as you'll see in the subsequent photos. He is so determined to beat his brother that he takes off like a shot and runs full out for as long as he can, no matter how many times we try to explain to him that he should slow down a bit and reserve his energy for a strong finish. When you've got a mile to race, and some pretty significant hills to get up in the process, sprinting isn't your best bet. "Yeah, I'm totally ahead of Josh! I think I've really got him this time!""Aw, Geez, are they kidding me with these hills?!
"I . . . must . . . push . . . through . . . the . . . pain!""Yeah, I'm gonna just walk real casual like something very profound just occured to me."Here comes slow and steady Josh - just a slight bit smug over leaving his brother in the dust. After the races, my Mom and I headed out for some girl time
and the kids had some 'in the trees time' with Joel:





I am slightly sorry to have missed "In The Trees" time, it sure looks like it was fun. But I did really enjoy having time alone with my Mom, and let's be honest - my kids being up in trees usually results in me having some intense "Bite My Lips Until They Bleed" time. So really it's better that Joel had that shift, right?

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love cross-country running- I have not done that since I was a kid-It is nice to run in nature!