Tuesday, April 29, 2008




Happy Birthday Kelly!
Today is my niece's 1st birthday! Of course, we had hoped desperately that she would be spending this day at home, rather than in China.
My heart feels so heavy with the pain that my sister carries today. Rather than plucking Kelly out of her bed this morning with kisses and exclamations of "Happy Birthday!", she is enduring yet another day in this wait that can feel never ending. There are no words to describe the pain of it.
Thanks to a fabulous idea from Kelly's Nanna, we have found a way to celebrate her day together. This evening, we will each release a single red balloon - one from Texas, one from Colorado, and one from California. Along with these balloons we send up our birthday hopes for a little girl who may be far away from us physically right now, yet is held close in our hearts every moment.
Dear Kelly,
Happy Birthday, Baby Love!
I should introduce myself - I'm your Auntie, just one of the many people who love you.
Right now, my heart's desire is to see you nestled safe in your Mommy's arms. To see the love shining out of her eyes and into yours. You will soon find out that you have the most amazing Mommy in the entire world. I've never known someone with more love, more heart, or more grace than your sweet Mommy. You are also very fortunate to have a very patient Auntie. I will patiently wait for my turn to snuggle you, and I promise to let you decide when that is.
Someday, though, you and I are going to have secret jokes that we'll giggle about over and over again. We'll tease each other, and have nicknames that are only funny to us. I promise that we are going to be very silly together. I'll feel very sorry if you are ever in trouble with Mommy and Daddy. I know the chances of that are extremely remote - but if it ever should happen, I'll cast a sympathetic glance in your direction while their eyes are averted. Please keep your face very straight when that happens. When you are riding in my car, you can have as many licorice whips as you'd like, as long as you remember to share with your Auntie. Lick your fingers before exiting the car, please. I'll tell you which books I think are best, and why, and then you can tell me whether or not you agree. You can verify all of this with Caleb and Camryn, they'll vouch for me. Maybe just keep the licorice thing between us, though?
Tonight as you lie sleeping, I hope that in your dreams you see bright red balloons drifting lazily through a sunset sky. Those are for you, pretty one. Your Nana, Auntie, Cousins, and most of all your Mommy, Daddy, Brother, and Sister send our love and our hopes and our dreams to you on the wind tonight.
Love,
Auntie





3 comments:

Sissy said...

WAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Now I'M bawling!!!!

You're the sweetest Auntie/Sissy ever.

Thank you for sharing in it all with us, Jen-jen.

I love you!

~natty and barclay said...

Oh my, just when I thought my tear ducts had dried up! What a beautiful, beautiful letter. I have "goose bumps" everywhere, especially ALL OVER!

Here in Texas, we had lift off at approximately 3:53 P.M. CDT. As I set it free I think I felt the RUSH of Angels' wings! It is on it's way. Happy First Birthday my darling Bebe Boo!

Carrie said...

so sweet auntie!