Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Especially One From China . . .

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:
to look after orphans and widows in their distress
and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
I swear you can tell how close something is to God's heart by the level of attack it receives from those who truly are "polluted by the world". As disheartening as this is, perhaps we should take it as a compliment? The enemies of God would surely not bother with us if we were content to sit quietly as life and opportunities to live out loud for Christ passed us by.
Unfortunately, my sister's adoption is receiving the honor of these "compliments" in the form of malicious verbal attacks being made by a close family member. The title of my post quotes one of these attacks, in which this unfortunate person endeavored once more to undermine God's work by reiterating their disgust regarding the adoption of a child . . . "especially one from China".
You can imagine my revoltion at this blatant display of racism, particularly from my position as Mommy and Auntie to three precious children from China.
True, it's unfortunate that none of these three were clever enough to be born white Americans, but we must try and overlook this egregious character flaw and love them as best we can anyway. I'm sure they tried their best to be born into an American caucasian family, but it just didn't work out for them and shouldn't be held against them.
In all seriousness, if this person ever happens upon this post, I would like to bring your attention to the scripture I've quoted above. If you read it all the way through - maybe real slow a couple of times to really let it sink in - I think you'll note that God doesn't refer to a particular geographical area where we are to find the orphans which are appropriate to care for in their distress. God doesn't mention their skin, hair, or eye color. I'm going to make a deductive leap here, and postulate that maybe that's because He loves Chinese orphans and American orphans. Since I'm taking things for granted based on what we know God says in His word, I'm also going to guess that He led Jen and Clint to their daughter in China for a reason.
I'm going to make the wild, crazy assumption that it's true when His word says that He knows exactly what He's doing, and exactly what His plans for this family and their new little girl entail.
You see, everyone in their life who has a true faith in the Lord, and a true love for this family understands and knows that God led them to adopt a child.
Especially this child - one from China.
*Endnote:
This post is obviously "dedicated", if you will, to a particular person, and I should also note that this person will most likely never see it. I posted it because I believed it needed to be said, and because I hope that someone else might see it, and be given either encouragement or something to think about, depending on which side of this issue they fall on.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

It is amazing what people say, reflecting what they believe. Just a week before we traveled to bring home our precious 8-year-old Zach from China last year, my MIL said "All I know is that you and Steve are going to have trouble..." Such are the thoughts of those who think only of themselves and fail to see the value ALL CHILDREN have in the eyes of our Lord and Savior. This life is not about "me" it is about serving a loving God who wants us to do His work. He describes that work in James 1:27.

I truly am sorry for the attacks your sister has received. It is so sad, but thankfully she has YOU to help her deal with the hurtful comments.

Sorry for rambling.
In Christ,
Cindy

fourlittlehawks said...

Cindy, your "rambles" as you call them, never fail to inspire and move me. I absolutely love your heart, and the love you have for our Lord!
Come and "ramble" on my blog any day!

Love,
Jen

Sissy said...

Not only are my "lovely" unnamed family member's comments BLATANTLY racist, they sting even more in the face of my dear, sweet husband's repeated attempts to explain to this person our heartfelt, Spirit-led decision to adopt, as well as why we chose to adopt from China. If you knew the compassion and conviction with which he has talked with this person on SEVERAL ocassions, the hard-heartedness that has become so shamelessly evident in this person's response is absolutely mind-boggling at this point. It's almost scary.
Thank you Jen, for your love and support, and Cindy, for your words of encouragement.

~natty and barclay said...

"Jesus loves the little Children, all the little Children of the World. Red and Yellow, Black and White, they are Precious in HIS sight... Yes, Jesus loves the little Children of the World."

Even the CHINESE ones. I KNOW because HE told ME so.

My prayer is that God will soften this person's heart. In the meantime, continue to "put on the full armor of God, taking up the shield of faith and take the helmet of Salvation and use the sword of the Spirit" (Bible doctrine) when dealing with her.

~natty and barclay said...

I failed to add this to my above post. ;-)

"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me." Matthew 18:5

fourlittlehawks said...

Hi Nancy! I am so happy that Kelly will have such an awesome Nanna! I'm going to buy you a shirt with a poster size picture of Kelly on it, and you can wear it to church every Sunday, lol!

Love,
The Other Jen :)

Carrie said...

very well spoken!