Monday, April 14, 2008

A Tribute To My Friend




For those unfortunate readers who have never loved a dog, this post will hold little interest for you. But for those of you who know what a wonderful blessing it is to love and be loved by God’s most faithful creature, I invite you to pay tribute with me to a much beloved friend.

Today I said goodbye to my Ranger, my steadfast companion for nearly eleven years. I only hope that here, at the end, I was as loving in letting him go as he was every minute of every day that he lived.

I love all of my dogs, past and present. But for me, Ranger will always be “that dog”. Ranger holds a place in my heart that no other could touch. Perhaps that is because he has been with me through each of the most significant and pivotal moments in my life. He has been at my side as I grew from a new wife into a new mother, into the woman that I am today.

Joel and I had only been married a few months when Ranger joined our family, so we don’t have many memories of this life we’ve built together without him there. Countless tears of joy - and pain - have fallen into his fur as he cuddled close and comforted me. Always close – Ranger lying at (or on) my feet, or following me about as I did chores. I really can’t imagine life without that reassuring presence near.

Ranger has welcomed each of my four children into our family with a gentle adoration that could not help but win them over – though Hannah and Eli were terrified of animals initially. He has guarded and loved us well, and I am so thankful for the years I have been blessed with his company – though they were much too short.

Ranger, my sweet love – I thank you.

Your suffering and your pain are over now.

I see you in my mind’s eye, chasing Frisbees in the summer dusk with blissful abandon. I hear you baying with joy at the first snap of cool weather in fall, and biting happily at the first falling snowflakes of winter. This is how I will remember you - always.

Will we meet again?
This is a mystery I can’t answer. I can’t help but hope that one day, when I leave this life, I’ll find you there – watching for me.

All My Love,
Mama

4 comments:

Corie Barnhart-Grogan said...

Dear Ranger,
You have given me sooo many precious memories, I will miss you sweet boy!
Love,
Grammie

~natty and barclay said...

HEAVEN'S DOGGY-DOOR

My best friend closed his eyes last
night, As his head was in my hand.
The Doctors said he was in pain,
And it was hard for him to stand.

The thoughts that scurried through
my head, As I cradled him in my arms.
Were of his younger, puppy years,
And OH...his many charms.

Today, there was no gentle nudge
With an intense "I love you gaze",
Only a heart thats filled with tears
Remembering our joy filled days.

But an Angel just appeared to me,
And he said, "You should cry no more,
GOD also loves our canine friends,
HE's installed a 'doggy-door"!
Anonymous

As a "mom" to two Westie-Children, I can feel your loss. My deepest sympathy. Ranger might wish to say to you, "Don't weep for me, for it was Heaven, whilst I was on earth with you". The best place you buried Ranger was in your heart.

Cindy said...

Jen, I am so sorry. I am crying as I remember saying goodbye to our dear German shepherd a little over a year ago. He was 14 1/2, so it was time, but oh, so HARD! They love us so much and will never know how much we miss them. My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family.
Cindy

Sissy said...

What a sweet poem, Nanna. All I know is if I've got anything to say about it, old Ranger Roo went through that doggy door, alright.