Wednesday, April 2, 2008

MRI

Today Eli will have his MRI, in part to determine whether or not he is a candidate for a cochlear implant. He will have to be sedated, so he has to fast all morning. I hate the idea of the sedation, but it's necessary since the test is so long and he has to be absolutely still throughout.

Poor guy, I've explained to him several times that he's having a test, and the doctor says no food in his tummy for the test. He doesn't much seem to care about all that - he is hungry! He keeps glaring at me with this accusatory expression - "You're starving me on purpose, you cruel woman!" I was racing around trying to get the other three fed before he woke up so he didn't have to watch them eat, but he stumbled downstairs just in time to see them happily scarfing down their breakfasts. Wouldn't you know it - the one day he wakes up early, lol!

This is our last diagnostic for him, at least for awhile (can you say "wooo hoooo" with me?). He'll get his hearing aids on the 17th, and will wear those for three months. After that, we'll know more about whether they can implant only one side, or will need to do both. I'm still so torn about the cochlear implant, but now I think it stems from my fear of having one of my children undergo a surgical procedure of any kind. Eli is very excited about the prospect of an implant, even after having it fully explained to him. Of course, I'm not sure how much of that explanation he really grasps. The ENT was very surprised at how well he was hearing with the temporary aids they gave him, so it looks as though some speech therapy will also be appropriate for him. We will still rely on ASL for communication, even if we do go through with the implant. I'm praying that the aids and possibly the implants will be the opportunity that Eli hopes they will be.

~ Jen

1 comment:

Sissy said...

I'm praying for Eli, Jen! Fill that boy's tummy up with some good old cheeseburgers afterwards and I'm sure all will be forgiven! LOL (our little hamburglar!)