Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Trail of Tears, And Eli's Revenge . . .

Well, three hours later and here we are . . . right back where we started.

Let me start from the beginning . . . since that's a very good place to start.
As I said in my earlier post, Eli had to fast this morning, and he was very, very unhappy about this. At first, I felt terrible about this - my poor sweet boy was hungry. I explained to him several times why he couldn't eat, but he still could not be brought over to my point of view. He wept copious amounts of tears, glared at me, and begged for food. This was all very pitiful, until it occurred to me that very often Eli refuses breakfast if he doesn't like what is being served. How is it that he seems to survive very well on those days, and this morning had all the trappings of a Shakespearean tragedy? Some of my pity leaked away at that thought, especially as the tears continued on . . . and on . . . into the car . . . into the registration office . . . into radiology . . . into the nurse station . . . you get the idea.

Eli received his sedative, and was eventually rolled away for the MRI. They returned with him an hour later, and informed me that the test could not be performed because he had refused to stay still - even after a second dose of the sedative. Now - just maybe he couldn't help it - but I seriously doubt it. He did great during his CT scan, and fully understood the instructions not to move a muscle. He knew that for the "test" to work, he must stay very still once more. He had someone consistently reminding him while they attempted the MRI, and couldn't stay still for even a minute. Since Eli is the king of passive aggressive rebellion - I sense a deliberate sabotage to repay me for starving him. Grrrrrrr . . . !!!! I waited for two hours with two little ones (Havila and Hannah), endured a morning of intense battle - for nothing?! ACK!

Sadly for Eli, his day is about to get a whole lot worse. They are going to do the MRI this evening, under full anesthesia. This means that he has to fast for the rest of the day. He can have Jello and broth for the next few hours, but that's it. I have a feeling that neither of us is going to have a very good afternoon.

The only good part of this is that I won't have to drag any of the other children along this evening. It will be just Eli and myself, and I'm sure I'll be just as popular with him as ever.

Sigh.

~ Jen

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Mj is having her MRI on thursday -great all they gave us was valium po? I am a nurse and my husband does MRI's for a living I didn't think it would be that hard!